Welcome to my blog! I will be posting information about my mission trip to Burundi Africa for those interested in following what I am doing...


"Beginnings are usually scary and endings are usually sad, but it's everything in between that makes it all worth living." -- Unknown


Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Amahoro


Amahoro means peace, in Kirundi.  Kirundi is the most common language spoken here in Burundi, and I am finding it easier to pick up on than French.   When you are shopping in town, many of the people there speak Swahili, and that too is much easier than French.  Turns out watching the Lion King several times is coming in handy! J  Many of the phrases used in the Lion King that are Swahili have been useful since I have been here.  I am already starting to talk in very articulated and short and simple English, so that the students can understand me…so please forgive any weird sentences, it is hard to switch out of that.
Things here are going well.  I am looking forward to getting going on teaching, I had my second class this afternoon, and it went great!  At least it seemed like it went well, I don’t know if the students would report the same, but I hope that they would.  The class started slow, as it took about a half an hour for them to find the projector so the students could see my PowerPoint.  Then after a couple hours of class, someone came and took the projector from us, to use in one of the medical classes.  So, I resorted to writing things on my stick on the wall -- white board paper that I brought with me. 
We went over physical assessment today, they have had the information before, and so it was a bit of a review.  I can tell that some of the students are very sharp and understand English very well, while others are struggling.   Here in Burundi, there is a belief of “no one left behind,”  so when one student doesn’t understand something, the ones that do, will help explain it to them.  I am told that this is a good concept in theory, but it becomes a problem during exams, because they want to do the same thing at that time and share answers.  I really enjoyed the class today.  It is so fun to see the light turn on in them when they get what I am saying.  There reaction is so much different from the students I have taught in the U.S.   The students here, are desperately trying to understand a concept and when they finally understand it and can articulate it back, they grin from ear to ear!   It is such a pleasure to be a part of their learning.  Not to say that the students I have taught in the U.S.  are not fun to teach, they are, this is just fun in a different way!  When I was showing them where to check a brachial pulse, they all started laughing.  Apparently the way I was showing them looked like I was flexing my bicep for them.  I am glad that they can laugh and have fun, while still learning.  
I found some stethoscopes on campus that are waiting to be taken up to the upcountry hospital at Kibuye, so I took them to class today.  You could tell that many of the students had never used one before, there was a lot of giggling and “ah now I get it” looks on their faces as they were listening to each other’s heart, lung and bowel sounds.    I had some students run in place and jump up and down and then have their classmates listen to their heart so they could hear the difference in the rate.  This brought on many giggles and laughs, but I could tell they were enjoying it.   I am glad to be doing what I came here to do!  I have enjoyed the week exploring, but this is really what I love doing, and I feel so blessed to be able to be a part of their education.   Not only am I a part of it, but all of you at home that have been supporting me emotionally, spiritually and financially to make this possible, are all a part of the education of these students.  We are doing a good thing here!
 After the first blog I did, about the students not having any stethoscopes, my dad sent me a link to an organization called worldscopes that donates stethoscopes around the world.  I emailed them, and they are donating 50 stethoscopes to Hope Africa University!  Thanks for the link dad!  The students will be so excited, the only bad part is, I will probably not be here any longer when they arrive, but I hope to be so I can see how excited they get J
I took a bus ride into town the other day (sorry mom!).  I promised my mom I would not ride any buses here, because she is afraid of what will happen on them.  I was safe about it, and went with another missionary and also one of the medical students.  It was a good experience to have, but I am probably good if I don’t do it againJ.  We also went to the local market where everyone shops so I could see what it is like.  It is a huge building with no roof, and hundreds of booths are crammed inside.  It is organized by type of shopping…like men’s clothing, women’s clothing, food, office products, etc.  Many of the items here are used, and they are reselling them.  I was told that there are many labels found here with goodwill or value village on them.  This is a market where you bargain for the price, and if you are white they automatically start with a price twice as high as they would for a local.  All of the people here, when I pass by, or any other white person passes by they say, “umuzungu” which is Kirundi for white person.  They will walk right up to you and say it and point.  At first I thought they were saying it in a negative way, but I have been assured that it is not intended in a negative way.  The way it was explained to me, was it would be similar to seeing a celebrity walking through your neighborhood.  If you saw that, you might point and shout their name.  Everyone wants to shake your hand or touch you.  One woman wanted me to touch her child that was strapped to her back.  I touched the baby’s cheek and got it to smile for a few seconds.  I was later told that this is equivalent to a blessing and that this mom will be telling all of her friends that her baby was blessed by a umuzungu. 
Driving here is kind of scary.  There are no rules to the road, except for on the street the president lives on.  On that street everyone must stop at any street that intersects the street the one that goes to the presidents house, even if no cars are coming.  As far as I can understand, this is so that if in case the president is being driven somewhere, he always has the right of way.  (The president’s wife attends class here at the University.  I have not seen it yet, but apparently when she comes to class it is big deal with lots of security etc.).   There are only a few stop signs that I have seen, and they are really just suggestions, not a have to.  It is kind of a free for all, but the people that drive, seem to understand what they are doing and how to get around.  I am glad I don’t have to learn how to drive here!
I also went to my first church service here on Sunday.  It is a French/English service, followed by a service in Kirundi.  It was great, they do some songs in French and some in English, so that is nice, and the message is translated from French to English.  The people are lovely, and very warm and welcoming.  Everyone wants to shake my hand and greet me.  One little girl, probably about 3 or 4, walked up to me, hugged my leg and then walked away.  Another little boy, probably about 1 ½ to 2,  walked up and shook my hand and smiled, and then walked away.  The kids here are so sweet and adorable, and they stare at me a lot.  When I catch them staring and smile at them, they get huge grins on their faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment